Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Slammed by Colleen Hoover Book Review



Here's a little back story for you: I've been homeschooled my entire life, up until this year. This is my senior year and I decided to do an online school this year. This is the first year that I've actually had teachers. My teachers are awesome. And the book that I'm reviewing in this post was recommended to me by one of these awesome teachers. Typically I don't like to read things suggested by others - a "conditioned response" according to my psych class, but why it's a conditioned response is another story entirely. I decided to read Slammed for several reasons: my teacher is awesome; I had nothing else to read; the book actually sounded interesting; I needed a break from all the vampires/werewolves/fallen angels/questions concerning a fence.

Layken "Lake" Cohen has been "slammed" with so many challenges and obstacles: first, her father's death. Second, a move across the country due to "financial strains." Third, a sneaking suspicion that there's a different reason that her mother moved them from Texas to Michigan. Fourth, a sudden halt to the relationship with Will, her new neighbor from across the street, the only thing that might have made the move bearable for Lake. Fifth, a revelation that threatens to tear her family - and her life - apart.

A girl just can't catch a break, can she?

Slammed is pretty easy to read: I read it in about a week, as opposed to about the three weeks that I usually take when I'm busy. It was short, to the point, didn't bother with non-essentials and the characters were easy to get along with (in my language that means their actions and words were justified). The only thing that I had a hard time grasping was the relationship between Lake and Will. It came upon them suddenly, ended even more quickly, and began a certain roller coaster ride that may have made it more believable, while at the same time not so much so.

The strength of this book, I believe, is in its characters and their relations to each other. Slammed will open yours eyes to reality, make you question what it really means to be a family, and put you in a perspective to put the emphasis on life rather on death - the one thing in life that is inevitable.

I give this book three stars out of five.

Now let's see if I can get some extra credit out of this review ;)

On a side note (cuz ya'll know I always need something random in my posts)... my best friend is trying to come up with some words that describe one of her book characters. She has large, intimidating, and brawny. Her character is pirate-y like. Anyone wanna help out? (And if the only thing you can come up with is "scurvey," don't bother; she needs his physical appearance described.)

1 comment: